UDC worked with Esri to upgrade Arc GIS 9.3 to 10.2.1 for the Gas Distribution Enterprise GIS at Southern California Gas Company and San Diego Gas & Electric (Sempra Energy). The objective of the upgrade was to move the customer software version to the Esri recommended version for utilities and ensure support over the next 5 years. UDC physically performed the upgrade to ensure key components, integrations, applications and tools remained in proper function post upgrade.
The GIS upgrade task list included:
- Upgrading software: both ArcGIS and ArcFM – deploy to new application and Citrix servers
- Upgrading custom ArcObjects/C# code –i.e. custom tools, ArcFM Auto Updaters
- Updating mxd’s – stored displays and page templates
- Migrating custom integration code to ensure that third-parties such as SAP and Customer Information stay in sync
- Identifying new bugs in ArcGIS 10.2.1 and developing custom code to workaround the new issues
- Performance testing to ensure that any problems introduced by ArcGIS 10.2.1 were resolved, and any new functions to improve performance were implemented
- Working with the Sempra Gas Business Analysts to test and measure progress using Agile methodology
UDC was able to complete this project months ahead of schedule by adapting to existing workflows and processes that Sempra was already familiar with and by working with Sempra staff using Agile to properly test the upgraded components. The existing skills and knowledge that the team possessed (both technical and business) was a huge asset in the success of the project.